The Civic Museum of Fiesole was inaugurated in 1878 and coincided with the commissioning of light, in several parts of the city, monuments and artefacts with extraordinary archaeological and historical-artistic interest.
Initially it consisted of three rooms on the ground floor of the Praetorian Palace, the current Municipal Administration.
This was the first version of the Civic Museum, commissioned by its first two directors, Peter Stefanelli and Demosthenes Macciò , which subsequently took on the appearance of a warehouse for the storage of finds from the archeological excavations and by the Cathedral Chapter.
The Museum was in fact criticized for poor consistency of the assets presented and the chaotic disorder with which the exhibits were presented to the public, gradually losing its museum features to become a "deposit" of archeological finds.
Only in 1912, he was commissioned a general inventory of the exhibits contained in the Museum and was commissioned an inspector of the Florentine Superintendency, Edoardo Galli. It was an opportunity for the Gauls also carry out a new arrangement of the museum, in addition to the transfer of many elements in an adjacent neoclassical building, built especially by the Cerpi.
The new layout, wanting to give priority to the exposure of the source material of Fiesole, is distributed in 4 rooms with a central valuable artifacts such as animal torso in bronze, known as "wolf fiesolana".
The forced interruption due to the world wars period, was the impetus for a subsequent reorganization Museum, executed in 1957 and aims to increase its heritage with new findings from subsequent excavations in the archaeological area. It was only in 1980-81 that the fiesolana Administration performed an additional set-up, which included the creation of three rooms on raised walkways, as well as to enable a different organization of the topographical section of the museum.
In 1985 he became part of the museum's collection of Greek ceramics, magno-Greek and Etruscan, donated by Professor Alfiero Costantini.
To accommodate this collection was restored the nursery school which was attached to the 3 room of the Museum in 1997.
Crying ground (1-8 rooms) is located today the Etruscan-Roman material and Lombard origins of Fiesole, on the upper floor, in the salt (IV), is kept the material belonging to the Costantini collection.
Much of the material found in the archaeological area, to date, is in the store and the museum is frequently home to laboratories by the Museum's Education section.
For information and visits contact the Reception.
Contents by Giulia Bondesan
It is forbidden to copy or reproduce in any form whatsoever the content without the prior written authorization.